Conceptual Celebrity Portrait

05 July, 2006


For Anita Kunz's assignment I decided to do a portrait of Miles Davis. My concept is based on a few things I found during my research. The first thing I discovered was that he was called the "Picasso" of Jazz. This led me to Picasso's blue period- which obviously ties in with Cool Jazz. The final part of my concept came when one of my teachers told me that when Miles was getting really old, in the later part of his career, he held the trumpet at his chest. People thought he was in this slumped-over position because he was cool, but really it was because he was old and could not hold up his instrument. I immediately thought of the painting of the guitarist by Picasso. I used the composition and pose from his painting and also tried to use a similar pallette, leaving the instrument as the warmest part. I really enjoyed doing this piece and have since realized that this is a direction I want to pursue.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Fields said...

Ted im right behind you but i MUST tell you that i see the beginnings of a genius

10:08 PM  
Anonymous SWARTZ said...

I aree...Seriously, awesome.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Manuel LariƱo said...

Hola Ted! Great description.
I am glad you know where you want to go now... cant wait to see where it takes you.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Mirna said...

my dear, this is beutiful! it's great to see your style applied in different ways! i love it.

8:17 PM  
Blogger Duncan Barton said...

strong concept, waiting to see more!

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home