The San Diego Reader

22 November, 2006




The Reader is a magazine put out every week throughout the county,with a main article and local events and advertisements in it.The article was about a father that moved in with his son that has schizophrenia. The art director didn't want me to focus on the disease itself but the strained relationship between the father and the son. I focused on the barrier of communication, the father wanting to talk but the son not able to. The color printed very orange. I tried to adjust it so the you guys could see what the original looked like but it was too difficult. I posted a rough drawing of the cover on my blog. (hi valerie, hope you like it!!)

12 Comments:

Blogger Manuel Lariño said...

Congratulations Brooke! Looks really good!

3:16 AM  
Blogger Brooke Olivares said...

Thanks Manuel

3:27 AM  
Blogger Edward Kinsella III said...

THis is amazing. I love the breakup of the space.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Manuel Lariño said...

guys, go to sleep! hehe

3:39 AM  
Blogger Duncan Barton said...

looks great brooke, I really like the blockiness of the dad's folded hands. Very nice

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Valerie said...

Ohhhhhhhh Brooke O....This is my favorite by you. I love the lighting. You managed to capture the emotions of the father. He really looks like he wants to talk. I can almost cry looking at it feeling his pain. Great composition. We all want the best for our children (and our children's friends). Thanks for the "shout out".

11:31 AM  
Blogger Carlos V. said...

Man Brooke youve really outdone yourself this time! I absolutly love this piece, its soo human, i guess I mean it has such a real emotion to it. Love it youre the greatest!!!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa Fields said...

you are so fantabulous

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kyle McCullough said...

That piece is great...color and the shapes going on are really good. Best stuff I have seen you do.

11:53 PM  
Blogger -glue- said...

i love the lighting. the hands bother me, however, its still freakintastic!

1:02 PM  
Blogger mauricio salmon said...

awesome brookie brook! one of my favorites. i love the line that's dividing them apart.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Tristan said...

awesome work! congrats brooke. I know you keep this group pretty exclusive but PLEASE is there anyway I could get in?

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home